April 11, 2011

Today’s Lunch

In an attempt to lead a more vegetarian lifestyle, today for lunch I had oatmeal that I cooked using soy milk.  I added some ground flax seed and put fresh blueberries (that were frozen in my freezer – so maybe they’re technically frozen blueberries) and a little bit of brown sugar on top.
2011-04-11 15.50.46

I used Silk soy milk, the vanilla kind.  What I realized is the vanilla flavor is pretty sweet so I didn’t have to add much brown sugar, if any.  It was very delicious and it felt awesome to eat something using no animal products!

I’m on the hunt for tasty vegetarian/vegan recipes, so if you have some, please post them below so I can try them out.  I’m very excited to take this step away from meat.  I can’t wait to be healthy, full of energy, and feeling good.

4 comments:

  1. YEEEESSS! You're on the oatmeal train!!! Oatmeal has been my weight loss secret weapon. I make mine with 1% milk, just because I don't keep soy milk around and I really only use milk in cereal, smoothies and oats.

    Also, remember to make sure you are getting protein from places that aren't meat. I know you probably already know this, but you will notice a difference in your energy levels if you don't get enough protein! Beans, Whole grains, brown rice, quinoa, oats, nut butters, nuts, edamame, etc.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, reading all about it in "Living Vegan For Dummies" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oatmeal is my breakfast every morning now to help lower my cholesterol. I also use the vanilla soy milk, the "Lite" version which has less calories than skim milk. I also add ground flax seed, brown sugar and a bit of maple flavoring. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cinnamon!! I forgot the cinnamon!! I knew there was something else! And don't forget to shake your soy milk before pouring!

    ReplyDelete