April 08, 2011

Sausage Cassoulet

I made this for dinner on Tuesday night.  I've been trying to use more recipes when I cook, but its really hard when I don't have a lot of time for cooking or shopping.  Since I've been back in school I've really stuck to basic dinners that don't require a lot of ingredients, but are still tasty.  I've made this dish once before, but haven't had it in a while so I thought I would try it again.
Growing up we ate Kielbasa on many occasions.  Usually it was a quick dinner for us as a family and being a Sconnie girl, I loved it.  Simple sausage dinner; yummy with just the basic ketchup and mustard.  This recipe called Cassoulet in a Flash (which is actually a take on franks and beans, but I hate saying franks and beans) from the Family Circle Cookbook I own, gave me a way to use the kielbasa I love in a new way that's a little more "grown up."  The recipe is simple and it cooks fast -- good for me since I don't have a lot of time to cook.
Here are my ingredients
2011-04-05 18.00.02
1lb kielbasa cut into 1/2 inch pieces ( I would actually cut them into smaller more bite-size pieces)
1 medium red onion cut into thin wedges
1 can white kidney/canelli beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can pork and beans in tomato sauce
1 clove garlic - chopped (I used 2)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon of dried thyme (Yum!)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
 
Cook the kielbasa on medium heat for about 4 minutes
2011-04-05 18.02.58
Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 3 more minutes
2011-04-05 18.04.46
Add the beans and the rest of the seasonings.
2011-04-05 18.09.46 
Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 5-7 minutes until heated through.
Great German dish that reminds me of my childhood, but pleases my grown up palate. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment