June 05, 2011

Tahini, The New Sour Cream/Mayo/Spread/Dip

I have been using tahini a lot lately, and most people have never heard of it, or may only use it when they are making hummus.  Since I have yet to find a hummus recipe to get excited about, I have tried to incorporate tahini into my diet where I can because it is a good source of protein. 
Made from sesame seeds, this sticky “nut butter” has a powerful, but bland-ish flavor to it (it’s a little difficult to describe).  It has 6 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and 200 calories per 2 tablespoons.  At first I tried it by itself and couldn’t figure out what I would be able to use it for, but my first experiment was a success.
Vegetarian fajitas have become a staple dinner around my house and are a yummy way for me to use up leftover veggies.  I just sauté up a bunch of veggies and heat up some black beans, or pinto beans, maybe some rice, etc.  In the past, I would always spread sour cream on the tortilla before I put on my toppings; so to cut back on the amount of dairy in my diet, I used tahini instead.  To my surprise it added a lot of flavor to the fajitas and I really enjoy using it in this way.
Since that experiment was such a success, I started wondering how I could use it in other ways.  So, I made a sandwich and instead of Mayo (which I love, but is not very good for me) I spread tahini on my bread and also put lettuce, seasoned tomatoes, and raw mushrooms on it.  Delicious!!!
I buy East Wind organic tahini, it is about $8 at Woodman’s.  You could probably get a cheaper brand if you’re just trying it for the first time, but I have enjoyed this one and prefer to buy organic when I can afford to.



I also received two new vegetarian cookbooks for my birthday (Thanks to my wonderful husband) and there is a recipe in one of them for a tahini lemon sauce that can be made thicker for a dip or thinner for a sauce or dressing.  I will be trying that out soon and I’ll let you know what I think!
Do you have any uses for this versatile condiment?  Let me know in the comments!
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment